It is hard to keep up with the daily changes in marketing. From new channels to techniques and technology the industry is constantly changing. Perhaps, the most important item is the use of data and testing to guide where effort should be placed to improve results.
With that in mind, current statistics provides insight to emerging trends and the rapid rate of change. The stats below illustrate some of the most eye popping trends over the past year (or so). Use these stats and our “takeaways” to drive your marketing for the coming year.
- 37% use Siri, 23% use Microsoft’s Cortana AI, and 19% use Amazon’s Alexa AI at least monthly. (HubSpot, 2015)
- 20% of search queries on Google’s mobile app and on Android devices are voice searches. (Search Engine Land, 2016)
- 60% of smartphone users who use voice search have begun using it within the past year, with 41% of survey respondents having only begun to use voice search in the past six months. (Search Engine Land, 2015)
Takeaway: The increasing rate of voice search means you should tailor your content keywords using natural language (for voice) and long tail keywords (search engines). Voice search will only increase in the future and your content today will be positioned to take advantage of it.
- Almost 50% of internet users look for videos related to a product or service before visiting a store. (Google, 2016)
- 53% of smartphone users feel more favorable towards companies whose mobile sites or apps provide instructional video content. (Google, 2015)
- 45% of people watch more than an hour of Facebook or YouTube videos a week. (HubSpot, 2016)
- 100 million hours of video are watched every day on Facebook. (TechCrunch, 2016)
- 82% of Twitter users watch video content on Twitter. (Twitter, 2015)
- 90% of Twitter video views are on mobile. (Twitter, 2015)
- Marketers who use video grow revenue 49% faster than non-video users. (Aberdeen, 2015)
- On mobile alone in an average week, YouTube reaches more 18+ year-olds during prime time TV hours than any cable TV network. (Google, 2016)
- YouTube has over a billion users, almost one-third of all people on the Internet. (YouTube, 2016)
- The time people spend watching YouTube on their TV has more than doubled year over year. (Google, 2016)
Takeaway: If you haven’t started with video yet, you had better or be left behind. Create a companion video piece for your best performing content or a “how to” piece for your product. Use live video to increase participation at your events. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.
Blogging & Content
- 47% of buyers viewed 3-5 pieces of content before engaging with a sales rep. (Demand Gen Report, 2016)
- 96% of B2B buyers want content with more input from industry thought leaders. (Demand Gen Report, 2016)
- 60% of marketers say blog content creation is their top inbound marketing priority. (HubSpot, 2016)
- 1 in 10 blog posts are compounding, meaning organic search increases their traffic over time. (HubSpot, 2016)
- Compounding blog posts make up 10% of all blog posts and generate 38% of overall traffic. (HubSpot, 2016)
- Over its lifetime, one compounding blog post creates as much traffic as six decaying posts. (HubSpot, 2016)
Takeaway: The importance of blogging shows no sign of decreasing while ranking for content produced is even more competitive. Say something of substance to remain viable and to enjoy the benefits of compounding.
- 73% of people say they use Facebook for professional purposes. (HubSpot, 2016)
- In the past two years, content consumption on Facebook has increased 57%. (HubSpot, 2016)
- 76% of people use their Facebook feed to find interesting content. (HubSpot, 2016)
- Facebook has 1.13 billion daily active users. (Statista, 2016)
- 28% of adult internet users use Instagram. (Pew Research Center, 2015)
- Instagram has 500 million monthly active users. (Statista, 2016)
- 25% of adult internet users use LinkedIn. (Pew Research Center, 2015)
- 46% of online adults who have graduated from college are LinkedIn users, compared with just 9% of online adults with a high school diploma or less. (Pew Research Center, 2015)
- In the past two years, content consumption on LinkedIn has increased 21%. (HubSpot, 2016)
- LinkedIn has 450 million members, but only 25% actively visit the professional social network each month. (VentureBeat, 2016)
- 31% of adult internet users use Pinterest. (Pew Research Center, 2015)
- Pinterest has 100 million monthly active users. (The New York Times, 2015)
- Pinners are just as likely to purchase as users from other social channels, but spend 50% more on average compared to other social channels. They also spend 20% more than users referred from non-social channels, including search. (Pinterest, 2016)
- Snapchat has 150 million daily active users. (Statista, 2016)
- 52% of Snapchat users are under the age of 25. (Statista, 2016)
- 30% of U.S. millennial internet users use Snapchat regularly. (eMarketer, 2015)
- 23% of adult internet users use Twitter. (Pew Research Center, 2015)
- In the past two years, content consumption on Twitter has increased 25%.
- Twitter has 313 million monthly active users. (HubSpot, 2016)
- As of 2015, 35% of all those 65 and older report using social media, compared with just 2% in 2005. (Pew Research Center, 2015)
- As of 2015, 90% of young adults use social media, compared with 12% in 2005. (Pew Research Center, 2015)
- Infographics are liked and shared on social media 3X more than any other type of content. (Mass Planner, 2015)
Takeaway: Target every social media posting or advertising to the appropriate demographic you wish to attract by using the proper channel. Adopt the “unwritten rules” of each platform in how you present the message.
- Segmented and targeted emails generate 58% of all revenue. (The Direct Marketing Association, 2015)
- Email use worldwide will top 3 billion users by 2020. (The Radicati Group, 2016)
- Gmail has 1 billion active users worldwide. (Statista, 2016)
- Two-thirds of emails are read on either smartphones or tablets. (Marketing Land, 2015)
- Outside of work, Americans most commonly check their email while watching TV (70%), from bed (52%), on vacation (50%), while on the phone (43%), from the bathroom (42%), and even while driving (18%). (Adobe, 2015)
Takeaway: Email continues to have the highest ROI of all marketing activities when used properly. Invest today in the technology to allow you to know your customers and visitors to improve your email with appropriate segmenting and targeting.
- 72% of consumers who did a local search visited a store within five miles. (WordStream, 2016)
- 30% of mobile searches are related to a location. (Google, 2016)
- 28% of searches for something nearby result in a purchase. (Google, 2016)
Takeaway: The internet has replaced the phonebook.
- 49% of B2B researchers who use their mobile devices for product research do so while at work. (Google, 2015)
- 48% of consumers start mobile research with a search engine. (Smart Insights, 2016)
- 26% of consumers start mobile research with a branded app. (Smart Insights, 2016)
- One-third of people use their smartphone as their primary device to access the internet. (HubSpot, 2016)
Takeaway: Go mobile or die.
- Marketing technology spend is now higher than advertising spend for companies. (Gartner, 2016)
- 64% of ad blocker users do so because they believe ads are annoying or intrusive. (HubSpot, 2016)
- 419 million people worldwide have installed an ad blocker on their smartphone. (PageFair, 2015)
- Mobile ad blocking has increased 90% year-over-year. (HubSpot, 2016)
- 82% of smartphone users say they consult their phones on purchases they’re about to make in a store. (Google, 2016)
- Only 29% of people want to talk to a salesperson to learn more about a product, while 62% will consult a search engine. (HubSpot, 2016)
It is an exciting time to be working in marketing. At the same time, it is hard to keep up with all changes and best practices. It can be even harder to keep up content creation, social media engagement, targeting emails and SEO for your website. Let Paveya ease your burden. Call 855-372-8392 today for a customized marketing program for your company with a cohesive strategy to get results. We will manage your marketing so you can get back to business.